Saturday, April 26, 2008

Low budget music making

If you are looking for a cheap alternative to all the super high priced audio software out there, you should be looking into open source music software. I Have just recently switched from Windows to Kubuntu linux, and I am amazed at the sheer number of incredibly well written audio software packages that are available.

Now before you start moaning and groaning about linux, keep in mind that kubuntu is one of the easiest linux distibutions to install and use, and unlike my xp, rarely if ever crashes.

From music players to synthesizers, you can download to your hearts content with the easy to use "add-remove program" feature in kubuntu. This program not only downloads the file you want but any other files that the original program needs to run.


I really like using the various synthesizers as it really drives the wife crazy, "Look dear, I can make fart noises on my computer!" This is when she usually begins throwing things. Its the simple things in life that keep me happy.

You can do anything from ripping cds to mp3, to setting up a fully functional multi track recording studio, and best of all its free, and if you are really adventurous you can download the actual source file and modify it to meet your needs.

I'm presently listening to blues on internet radio thanks to a little program called "streamtuner", a program that searches the internet for broadcasts. I can hook my electric guitar to my computer and add all sorts of effects to it with "creox", or I can attach a midi port and run my keyboard through any number of software synthesizers. I even have a "virtual" keyboard in the mix.

I can analyze and edit music in multiple formats using "Audacity", use a vast number of mp3 tag editors to rename the music, and save the song into multiple formats. I can edit and load playlists to my Ipod or other portable mp3 player, or export the playlist to a web cast.There are programs to edit and playback tabulature, or even write your own sheet music.

From the music beginner to the seasoned studio professional, you will find an array of cool programs to help you with your musical needs and you won't have to shell out big bucks, or any bucks for that matter.
There is even a os version, preloaded with all the audio software you need, its called "Ubuntu studio", and its just jam packed with audio and video software to play with.
So if you are a broke and starving musician like me, this is the ultimate solution.

Ubuntu Studio is available for download at http://ubuntustudio.org
Kubuntu is available at http://www.kubuntu.org/

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online