Saturday, April 19, 2008

Roll your own gear!

While cruising the net a few months ago, I suddenly had this urge to see if there were any "luthier Supplies" websites out there. Don't ask me why, strange ideas blow through my cranium randomly without warning, I've learned to just go with it. Well low and behold, there seems to be a few of them out there.

I think the most interesting one I've found is Stewart Macdonald. These guys seem to carry everything you need to spruce up your old axe or build yourself a new one from scratch. How cool is that?
I registered with them and they sent me a great catalog of everything they sell. Need a new nut for your Fender? It's there. Want to wind your own pickups? They sell everything you need to build custom pickups from scratch. I never knew that there were such a thing as a Schatten Pickup Winder, but I think I want one. They do have all sorts of brand name pickups in stock, as well as info on how to install and wire them.

Need to replace some frets on the old acoustic you've been hammering on for a dozen years? Well why not by a 98 foot roll of the stuff, just so you can have a little extra lying around for special occasions. They also sell all the clamps, hammers, drills, presses and glue you could ever need.

I am seriously thinking of building my own "F" style mandolin someday. So seriously am I thinking about this, the wife is already stocking up on what she feels will be the necessary first aid supplies. She has little confidence on my competency with hand and power tools.
Stewart Macdonald not only has all the different types of wood for building the project from scratch, they even have pre-cut kits that you can assemble at home.

There is also a multitude of books, CD's, DVD's and plans to help you along the path of luthiery enlightenment.When you register they give you the option to receive their email news letter, which is full of tips and tricks about instrument repair.

The website is well laid out with everything just a click away and it is chock full of useful information on the art and craft of making quality musical instrument, so for the serious musical "Do it yourself" nut, this is the place to look.

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online